If you install windows on an IDE mode enabled storage bus, and then try to, say, do a clonezilla disk-to-disk copy to a ssd or other SATA hard drive and boot into windows, it will BSOD. This is because Windows won’t enable AHCI support if it doesn’t find it needs it. But, if you can boot into IDE mode still, you can fix that:)
- Startup "Regedit
- Open HKEYLOCALMACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
- Open msahci
- In the right field, right click on "start" and go to Modify 5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
- exit "Regedit"
- Reboot Rig and enter BIOS
- In your BIOS select "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now change SATA Mode to AHCI. (Specific to most Award BIOS'es, may be different for you)
- You now boot into windows 7, the OS will recognize AHCI and install the devices. Now the system needs one to two more reboots, Windows will let you know when it wants a reboot.
Thanks magical forum post: